Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Family Photos: This ain't ya mama's photos no more!


I had the best time photographing this great family. The kids were so lively (meaning, I got my workout for the day) and precious! I wanted to photograph them as themselves. I really didn't give much instruction at all that day. I like capturing real smiles or even sad faces. I think that letting them guide the time made for a relaxing but very fun shoot. And I was proud of the parents, too. I know for me (and I'm sure that I'm the only mom who is like this), I use to make my girls wear what I wanted them to. But I LOVE how this family came as they are. The kids (minus the cute little one) picked out their own clothes.



While girls love to be pretty and pose like their idea of a supermodel, boys love to emulate their favorite things- superheroes! So, maybe for a tip if you need a boy to come out of his shell, ask him who is favorite character is. His, above, is Buzz Lightyear. He had us cracking up all day with his expressions! And it's almost the same with girls, but I ask them to act like their favorite princess. I notice that when my girls act like their favorite princess, they all of the sudden just know how to act "proper" (said with a British accent) and use their manners. I try and get them to act proper all the time...




While I didn't ask the kiddos to do too much, I did promise to take them to a really cool place (aka a fountain) if they did a few smiles for me. I know we're supposed to frown on bribery, but really is there a better parenting tool?

When you get the whole family together, what becomes the most important shot? A picture of the WHOLE family together. I did get a few goods one that day, but the kids wouldn't stand for much. Which is okay, because I can be spontaneous (picture Steve Martin in SNL: I'm a wild and crazy guy! No? I'm getting too old...). I think that one of the my favorite family shots is the one where even apart from each other, they still look like a cohesive unit. So, look, when doing family photos, be creative. Make use of your time in capturing who they are as a family. I didn't bring props. I didn't set a scene with tons of cool vintagey items (which I am NOT saying is bad because I'm really jealous of people who have a bunch of cool vintagey items). Just have fun and enjoy being a part of that family's life for a time.
Happy photo-ing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...