Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Run! Hide! The kids are coming!

What a strange world to go from being a stay at home mom to a working mom to being at home with the kids again. Talk about culture shock. Did you know that a game of hide and seek can work highly in your favor as a parent? Case and point, I was able to finish reading a whole chapter of a book once while hiding in the shower.
Needless to say, after a week of the kids being home on Christmas break, I felt a lot like the picture below...

I asked my husband for just one day off as my Christmas present. I just want a day to stay in bed with a book and Chinese food. I don't want to break up any more girl drama. The only way that  I can describe his face was that he looked...scared. After some hesitation, he just asked if he could buy me a present.

It was an excellent present...

I have to give a HUGE thank you to my mom for making these beautiful dresses for my girls! Didn't she do an amazing job? The back is my favorite part. I was able to use extra fabric to make their headbands. 

As much as I would've like to find the best hiding spot and stay there throughout Christmas break, I knew I had to be smart. I needed to find things to do with the girls that were FREE (I bet your ears perked up) and let them have great experiences.

Now, I can't plan your whole time, but one thing that they loved doing was visiting the local fire department. Love the guys who serve. We took them a huge batch of mini brownies, and they took the girls on a tour. 

My second idea was to visit the beautiful Audubon park (a beautiful day out AND exercise!). I took the opportunity to update their photos. They change so quickly. So, we loaded up some new props: a cute tea set, a picnic basket, and a great little bench (thanks so much to my hubby for making it!). I haven't finished editing all the photos, but here's one little snapshot...

My other favorite idea is to visit the library. I love searching for books, especially since my girls are fascinated with them. My oldest reads through big, chapter books faster than I can keep up with, so a more cost effective way is to check some out for awhile.

If you're still looking for ideas, my last one is one that was passed onto me. The kids got so many toys that it was overwhelming. So, I actually put away most, and everyday I brought out a new gift.

I hope that you are having a great start the your new year!
Stick around because I'm hoping for a great year, and I'd love for you to join me on my journey!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...